[TR] Zero Oil Pressure

Jay Holekamp jholekamp at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 10:38:28 MDT 2008

Have a look at the oil  pump drive system by removing the distributor and
carefully inspecting the shaft and the tang at the bottom of the shaft. Try to
turn the pump by hand using a long flat blade screwdriver. You might find
the slot at the top of the pump shaft sheared off.  Last Oct, while driving to
SE VTR at Jekyll Island GA, the oil pressure on my TR4 suddenly went to zero.
The cause was failure of the two inter-meshed pump vanes which wore to the
point they would no longer turn, shearing the slot at the top of the pump
shaft. The failed pump was 'rebuilt' in '95 (some 25,000 miles ago) and the
rebuild kit components failed - more substandard aftermarket parts from an
unknown source. In the course of rebuilding the engine last winter, we used an
oil pump made up of the best combination of original used StanPart pieces I
could find.

brgds, Jay

'64 Triumph TR4 since '67