[TR] Headlamps Pt 2

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 13:40:17 MDT 2008

Lisa Richardson wrote:

> Are we only talking originality vs. the brighter light?

In some jurisdictions, the common H4 halogen headlamps may be illegal.  They
were definitely illegal when I first started using them; and I'm told that
they are still illegal in California today (on cars that were originally
fitted with tungsten sealed beams).  But I have never, ever had a policeman
even comment on them; so it may be an urban myth today.

The issue is that the reflector is not sealed against moisture, ozone, smog,
etc. and may become cloudy and ineffective over time.  So, the US passed
laws back in the 1940s requiring all headlights to have sealed reflectors
(among other things).  The Federal laws were eventually repealed, but some
states supposedly have laws requiring that headlights be replaced with the
same "type and kind" which could be construed to mean only sealed beams on
cars originally so equipped.

I have seen halogen reflectors turn cloudy, which really messes up the
performance of the headlight, making it worse than useless.  But IMO it just
becomes another item to check for, just like checking that your brake lights
still work.

BTW, I just fitted one of the Cibii "Complex Surface Reflector" lamps to the
Stag.  The improvement compared to their H4 "convex" lamp is considerable,
though still not as large (IMO) as the difference between the old tungsten
lamp and the H4 "convex" lamp.  Unfortunately they aren't available for the
TR6, though, as they require a separate lamp for high beams.

Maybe we'll get lucky, and someone will come out with a quality true HID
conversion to fit the old round headlights.  But I'm not holding my breath!
There are conversions available today, of course, but they are good mostly
for blinding oncoming drivers.  More at
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

Randall