[TR] Headlamps Pt 1

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Aug 22 13:38:32 MDT 2008

Must've been too large the first time.

Lisa Richardson wrote:
> Are there fans of the halogens at all?

I'm a big fan of halogen headlights.  However, they are not all created
equal, some of the cheap imitations on eBay (and elsewhere) are horrible.
After some bad experiences, I look for 'known' brands, like Cibii/Valeo
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
(NFI, just a satisfied customer)
IPF and Wipac are supposed to be good, too:
http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite/landroverparts/IPF_lighting.html

There are also "halogen sealed beam" headlights available (AutoZone, etc.)
but IMO they don't work nearly as well as a quality H4 type unit.

However, I feel that there is another important step, which is adding relays
and a heavy gauge feeder wire (with fusible link) to ensure the headlights
get full battery voltage.  This will get you brighter headlights whether you
opt for standard tungsten sealed beams, or halogens.  More at
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

BTW the light output of tungsten sealed beams drops markedly over their
service life (especially if the voltage has been a bit low).  Even just new
sealed beams would likely be an improvement if yours are old.

Also worth noting that H4 bulbs are available in various wattages.  Unless
you are upgrading the wiring and the alternator, I would suggest sticking
with the standard 55/60 watt bulbs (which will work with the standard
wiring, etc.)

Randall