[TR] exhaust systems

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 21 08:53:44 MDT 2008

On the original ('71 at least) TR6 muffler here's a plug on the right side
rear, opposite the inlet pipe.  That plug caps the inlet portion of the
muffler - there's a baffle pipe with holes all around it that runs from the
inlet to that plug at the rear.  If you cut out the plug and weld a 2" pipe
to the muffler right where the plug was, you'll have an open exhaust, though
with a slight resonator effect.  Putting a lakes plug on there gives you the
option of an open exhaust when you want it.

If you're adding dual pipes on that side of the muffler, if one of them goes
onto that plug it'll be pretty loud.  Even right next to it it'll be far
less baffled than the stock left side outlets.

These comments apply to the stock muffler, and direct reproductions of that
muffler.

Karl