[TR] ball joint seems to raise upper wishbone arm

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 19 16:14:06 MDT 2008

> I am only needing to screw on and fasten the nut to the horizontal bolt-
> arm of
> my ball joint to the upper wishbone arms.
>
> I jacked up the front right wheel lugs in order to get it thru the
> wishbone hole.

This is a bad idea, IMO.  You should be using the spring compressor to hold
the suspension together while assembling, not a jack under the lugs.

>  However when I do so, it does compress the spring, and raises
> everything.. In fact, the side arm of the ball joint unfortunately raises
> the
> upper wishbone arm.  How can I get it to sit still and allow the b.j. arm
> go thru it (so that I can get a nut on it?)

If I am understanding the question correctly, you need to pull the vertical
link out at the top (away from the A-arms).  This will be almost impossible
while jacking under the lugs, so first let it down and install the spring
compressor instead.

Tighten the compressor until you have to raise the A-arms a little to line
up with the ball joint.  Tap the extended shaft of the ball joint so it
lines up with the holes (and spacer) in the arms.  Turn the BJ housing so
it's roughly square to the vertical link, then push the shaft into the hole
through the arms and spacer.  It should slide in easily for most of the
distance; and generally the threads are long enough for the nut to pull it
the rest of the way.  If not, you may need to tap lightly on the outside of
the ball joint housing to encourage the shaft into the hole.

Tighten the nut and insert the cotter pin before releasing the spring
compressor.

Once the arms and vertical link are fully installed, you can use the jack
while installing the shock absorber and rebound brackets/stop.

Randall