[TR] [Spits] Pertronix Failure

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 19 10:27:22 MDT 2008

Maybe you don't need a new distributor.

My wife's '78 1500 Midget (extremely unmolested except for this change) was
retrofitted with the CEI unit, but the distribtuor itself is still the
original OPUS unit with the box sticking off the side -- but there's nothing
in the box any more.  Whoever retrofitted it put a Lucas "Lumenition" module
on the fenderwell right next to the unit and wired the red, blue, and brown
loom of the "Lumenition" system into the vehicles's wiring, leaving the
original distributor plug in the vehicle's wiring harness unused (and of
course the OPUS plug is gone from the distributor).

I've always assumed this was a retrofit kit dealers got at the time,
although as I recall from the bills with the car, a non-dealer mechanic did
this work maybe 20 years ago.

If you want to know more about what was done, I'll sort through it for you.

Karl