[TR] OD lubrication

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Aug 14 09:11:18 MDT 2008

> A solid axle could absorb (or if you prefer, accommodate) the jerk of
> engagement by torquing and thus flexing the entire axle, diff, and
> suspension w.r.t. the frame.  An IRS would transfer all that dynamic
> force to the axles by way of the diff gearing.

I guess I'm not following you here, Jim.  Seems to me that both
differentials have a torque reaction that must be absorbed by the diff
mounting; which in the case of the solid axle is the axle tubes and rear
springs.  But for the IRS there are shorter lever arms (to the diff mounts)
so it would actually apply more force (for the same torque impulse) than the
solid axle version.  And since the mounts are also softer, there would be
much more deflection.

> Yeah, it might be
> harder on the drivetrain!  On the other hand, the IRS car wouldn't
> twitch the rear over to one side.

Neither does the solid axle car, unless the rear tires are already so close
to the traction limit that the additional force puts them over the edge.
Which would also apply to IRS.

Randall