[TR] now lubrication recommendations (pt 2)

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 13 16:23:59 MDT 2008

FWIW, my '71 TR6 came from the factory with 90-weight gear oil in its OD
gearbox, when I bought it new in December of 1970.

The OD began to slip at about 20,000 miles, which I initially misdiagnosed
as slip in the Laycock diaphragm clutch, so I put in a lever-type Borg &
Beck.  The OD then blew completely a month later while driving down the
interstate. Did the gear oil do that ??  Dunno.  I cannibalized an OD from a
'64 TR4 and put mine back together, still with 90-weight gear oil.  Still
working 16,000 miles later when I sold the car.

Karl