[TR] GT6 carbs?

scotts junk smacsjunk at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 12 14:05:30 MDT 2008

All GT6 models came equipped with Zenith-Stromberg CD150 carbs (1.5"). Thre's
been lengthly, but as far as I can tell inconclusive debate regarding whether
or not there is any benefit switching to SU HS4s (equivalent size to CD150).
As I read it, maintenance/tuning "MAY" be slightly easier, performance change
will be nil. I assume the reason that he is going to a TR6 manifold is to be
abe to fit 1 3/4 carbs (CD175 or HS6). If so, he should be aware that there
are several flavours of TR6 manifold and I don't think any of them will fit
under a GT6 bonnet without the carbs interfereing, especially HS6s. It will be
necessary to add a blister (a la TR4/250) or hood scoop to provide clearance.
The long runner manifolds may also interfere with the wheel arches. It is
possible to get adapters or, with a little dilligent fill welding, grinding,
drilling and tapping, modify the GT6 manifold to match HS6s and still (barely)
fit under the hood. Going to 1 3/4 carbs is a non-trivial modification and
only worth the effort if all the co-dependant mods are also made: porting,
chamber cleanup, valve work, tubular exhaust, uprated cam, balancing, etc. If
the complete set of upgrades are not done, the performance increase will be
negligable. cheersScott> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:37:14 -0400> Subject: [TR]
GT6 carbs?> > A neighbour has a 70 GT6 Mk II engine in a Spit, and does not
know what the> correct carbs should be. He has Strombergs on there now and
would prefer> SUs. He says the head will receive the same manifold as a TR6,
if that helps.>... Thanks,> Jim>