[TR] tr3-a elec.and mechanical pump

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 7 17:47:24 MDT 2008

> Good move.  The mechanical lasted a week.  I flipped the switch and kept
> driving until eventually I could no longer stand the notion that the fuel
> pump lever was lunging on the cam, so pulled the mechanical altogether and
> put on one of the blanking plates that someone on the list sells.  Was it
> Joe Alexander?
>
> Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
> New Hampshire

Terry,

I believe it was Joe.

I posted a query to the list about 3 years ago to see if the blanking plates
are available and Joe replied that if I send him a pattern he would make me
one on his CNC machine.

Well I sent him a gasket and he made me the 1st as a prototype. He even sent
me my gasket back! and all for free!

Well anyway he went and made about 20 or so and sells them on Ebay from time
to time.

The original prototype was installed on the 4 and I got another for the 3.
Perfect fit.

Now what I did was mount the pump under the gas tank and mounted a pressure
regulator right to the outside of the blanking plate. Now the regulator
replaces the old pump and looks like it original equipment since the fuel
line routing seems to almost match the original with the pump.

Also a fuel filter between tank and pump and another just before the
regulator.

Power to the pump is provided by a fused line from the white wire to the coil.
That way, when I turn on the key that starts the fuel pump and when ignition
is off so is the pump.

Pumps can be wired for + or - ground as the electrics are not grounded to the
pump body.

I am on the 2nd season with the electric pump on the 4 and 1st season with the
3.

So far I am very happy with the electric vs. the older AC pumps.

No leaks, no drips and no errors.

Bob