[TR] tr-3 forward rear leaf spring bolt

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 6 16:19:30 MDT 2008

> My question is:  with a tr-3 body on
> the frame.................are the rear springs removed by pulling the bolt
> out of the inside of the frame therefore out of the forward spring eye?

Yup.

> OR can the spring eye be pulled off the bolt toward the outside of the car
> therefore
> leaving the bolt in the frame?

Nope, not with the body in the way.

> I'm ready to attach the springs now and
> considering whether to remove these frame bolts and replace with stainless
> well oiled ones or let it go and attach as is.  Anyone had experience with
> this?

I pulled mine out using the factory method (the "bolts" are threaded for a
puller) many years ago.  If I were doing it again today, I'd probably make a
little more sophisticated puller, but otherwise I'd tackle it the same way.

And I wouldn't bother with stainless (which is far overrated in my opinion,
as in many cases it binds even worse than carbon steel does) replacements.
Just coat the originals (assuming they weren't damaged in the removal
process) well with anti-seize and put them back.  (I like the copper-based
AS, it seems to work significantly better for me than the cheaper
silver-colored stuff.)

One point that might be overlooked: the "bolts" have "D" shaped heads (no
flats  for a wrench) and there is a finger that sticks up from the frame to
engage the flat portion.  So don't try to twist them.

Randall