[TR] tr-3 forward rear leaf spring bolt

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 13:32:45 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/6/2008 12:15:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
nafzigerg at yahoo.com writes:

I keep  reading various opinions about the forward bolt which attaches the
rear
leaf springs to the frame of a tr-3.  These are pressure fitted  and usually
rust fast to the frame.  Suggestions are that these should  be removed from
the
frame when the body is off as its nearly impossible to  do with body on.  Then
its suggested to replace with a stainless steel  replacement which is less
likely to rust fast makng it easier to remove  springs and rear axle later
after the body is on.
My question is:   with a tr-3 body on
the frame.................are the rear springs removed  by pulling the bolt
out
of the inside of the frame therefore out of the  forward spring eye?  OR can
the spring eye be pulled off the bolt  toward the outside of the car therefore
leaving the bolt in the  frame?
I'm ready to attach the springs now and
considering whether to  remove these frame bolts and replace with stainless
well oiled ones or let  it go and attach as is.  Anyone had experience with
this?
thanks!
gary nafziger

Gary, I did this years ago. You have to take that miserable bolt out. If  the
body is on the car, I would remove the little slipper shaped piece of trim
which goes with the gravel shield. I would then drill a hole large enough to
accommodate a long flat ended punch-the larger the better. Seemslike I ended up
 also drilliing a hole through a large board and put pillows betweenthe board
and  the car in case I missed when I beat on the punch. Iprobably used my
cutdown  s;edge hammer.
 A small diameter punch will expand the end of the bolt.

I spent weeks trying other things first, so if I was to do it again, I  would
go straight for this. If you do it neatly, you can put a plug button in  the
hole (plastic?) under the replaced slipper looking piece.

Good Luck,
Mike Moore

Read reviews on AOL Autos.