[TR] Rear Wheel Bearings & hub

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 4 12:12:23 MDT 2008

Ibsen :

It always helps to mention which car you are asking about, especially when
there are two of them in your signature.  But the VB comment seems to
suggest TR3, so I'll assume that.

> 1. can the rear bearings come out without removing the axles after the
> bearing
> housing is removed?

It might be possible, but there is no reason to do so, IMO.  I wouldn't go
in there without changing the inner seal anyway; and the weight of the shaft
would likely damage it without the hub to support the axle.  It also takes a
puller or press to get the bearing off the axle, which is going to be much
harder with the shaft still hanging inside the housing.  Besides, it just
pulls out.

> I have a custom made hub puller that bolts to the
> original hub with harden bolts.

But, does it properly support the hub while doing so.  That's the big
problem, because otherwise it can distort and ruin the hub.

> 2. does the bearing housing typically need to be replaced besides the
> bearing & seal?

I've never seen one that needed to be replaced.

> Victoria British sells the bearing, seal & bearing housing as a
> kit for $60.00 each, bearings alone are 45.00 each plus 5.00 for the oil
> seal.

I believe you are misreading their catalog (which is easy to do).  The kit
for $60 includes the bearing and two seals, one for the "axle end" and one
for the "hub".  In other words, their P/N 5-919 includes their P/N 5-736,
5-866 and 5-881; but NOT 5-3022.

> Anyone ever use their kits?

I have not.  I would much rather buy from the "man who owns one" than from
people who aren't quite sure what a Triumph is.

> 3. Since right rear hub has some run-out can a machine shop plane this and
> correct the run-out?

Theoretically, yes.  But I don't believe it's a good idea.  And first, of
course, you need to be sure it's actually the hub that has a problem, and
not the shaft.  They do sometimes distort and break.

> Am I better off trying to locate a good used one?

Also available new, tho not cheap.

> Does any one have one available that is reasonable price?

Only if you are willing to come "pull it yerself".

Randall