[TR] What are the odds!!

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 06:08:35 MDT 2008

What are the odds!

I decided to adjust the valves on my Spitfire when I got home yesterday,
since running the engine for the half hour drive home from work would warm
it up quite nicely.  It was quite hot outside, so when I got home I changed
into my work on cars clothes, and got myself a Dr Pepper and went out to
the garage to get started.
I was taking the valve cover off, and had left one of the bolts in the hole
(cause it was a little finicky, everything was hotter than, well you know
the drill), and of course as I was removing the cover it went clank, clank,
boink thud -  Aw crap, I thoughtI started to look for it and didnt see it
in the valve area, so I assumed that it must have fallen on the firewall or
embedded itself in some inaccessible area on the frame somewhere since the
washer for it was on the ledge in front of the windscreen.  Oh well Ill
find it later, so I proceeded to adjust the valves, and was ready to
install the valve cover.  So now I start to look in earnest for the missing
bolt.  Nope, not on the firewall in the mess of wiring, not under the car
in the middle of the floor where it should be, nor on or in any frame
members, crevices, etc.  Hummmnot in the battery box either(near where the
washer was).  Darn it, so I sat on the tire (of which us Spitfire owners
have the luxury of doing) and pondered where I the heck that darn little
bolt went to.  I wasnt about to button it all up without making sure that
it didnt fall into the engine or something.  So I reached for my Dr Pepper
(sitting quietly on the only convenient flat spot nearby, the battery), and
Ahhh, YECH20-50W Valvoline instead of the taste I was used to.  It had
actually fallen inside the tiny opening of the soda can sitting on top of
the battery  wasted nearly two thirds of the can!  Heck If I had a
thousand tries to try and do that to win eleventy billion bucks I couldnt
duplicate the feat again (unless of course I was just adjusting the valves)

Anyway, I decided that my luck was all used up with that one, so no lottery
for me. I finished up and went in to have dinner and think about the
mystery's of life!

Barry Schwartz
San Diego, CA