[TR] TR4A Project Update

Guy D. Huggins guy at genfiniti.com
Sun Apr 27 16:26:35 MDT 2008

Greetings All,

It's been a slow time on the project. The last major bit of work I was able
to do was back in June of 2007. It was then that I picked up the rebuilt
gearbox and overdrive from the shop (on 6/23/2007) and completed a
test-assembly of the 4 "wings" to the dolly-mounted body tub. This taught me
a lot about the little nuances that I will experience when I put them on for
keeps. Next step is to finish working out all the minor dents in the sheet
metal, drill through the sills for the eventual drainage tubes (so that rain
water can drain from the scuttle to the road, as opposed to directly into
the body itself) and send all the body parts off to Metal Rehab for
stripping. I think I've also got my painter selected.

Right now I'm in a holding pattern while I build up to successfully complete
the body work. During this "down time" I've replaced the fan extension in
expectation of an electric fan, and also upgraded to alloy steering rack
mounts. My body plan calls for having all the dents worked out then cleaned
to bare metal. I'll apply the primer and prep for paint. Once I'm done with
it, I'll take the parts over to the painter and have them do any additional
work they might notice, and lay the paint. Still not decided if I will take
over the body parts as individuals or pre-assembled. I see pros and cons
with both approaches, and would appreciate hearing some success and/or
failure stories with each option.

Finally, with the drive train fully mounted on the chassis, I have reach
milestone number two! However, I purposely did not fit the manifolds,
thinking they might possibly interfere with the mounting of the body tub to
the chassis itself. I will add those once the body tub is on.

As always, updates are on the web site with pics, and a heartfelt thanks to
everyone for their gracious help and support.

Cheers,

Guy D. Huggins

Kennedale, Texas
1965 Triumph TR4A (CTC 63569LO)