[TR] Of all the gall...

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Thu Apr 24 15:39:48 MDT 2008

dorpaul wrote:
> I thought I'd take extra precaution in getting ready to install my new SS
> brake lines from Classic Tubing.
>
> When rubbing a 'ladies panty hose' over the flared ends of my new SS brake
> lines they often snag on the face of the flare.  However, they do not snag on
> a dry Q-tip.    Should I be concerned?  (SS smoothness is a primary
> consideration in an effort to prevent galling from occuring.)
>
> Thanks, Paul Dorsey  60 TR3

Paul,
The sealing surface is inside the flare.  You will see a shiny ring made
by the flaring tool or machine and that spot should mate up with the
opposite flare.  So say if the outside lip has a burr on it that does
not contact the opposite flare seal surface, don't worry about it.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)