[TR] LBC tales and woes

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Tue Apr 15 18:16:39 MDT 2008

It's been a strange week.  First, I tried re-setting my GT6 valves to
non-stock cam.  I can't say that the engine runs much cleaner.  One
big difference is that now I have a dozen squirrels operating sewing
machines under the hood.  Perhaps I should set them to .011". :-)

Next item.  I tried to fit a new starter to the Spitfire, the brushes
I received being not even close to what came out of the car.  The new
starter wouldn't fit either.  The new one has a thinner mounting
flange so that the bendix gear and even the screws holding that
flange stick out further.  Quick call to Spitbits, and Nigel tells me
it needs the spacer, that maybe I dropped it when I took the old
starter out.  I say no, the old starter has a thicker flange and
there ain't no spacer.  He says he's never heard of a Spitfire that
didn't have one.  Well, a spacer about 1/4" thick would just about
make the new one match the old one.  Fortunately he had a few used
ones and so dropped one in the mail, for a suitable though nominal
fee of course.

Yesterday the GT6 horn stopped working.

On the way home this evening in the GT6 I flipped the turn signal
switch on then off and I noticed that the indicator light didn't turn
off.  Then the fine Lucas wiring sacrificed itself to protect the
fine Lucas fuse, and in so doing release some of the smoke from the
turn signal circuit, the smoke emerging from the left side of the
steering column up near the wheel.  Ah, at least all the other
electrical stuff worked, such as the headlights.  Hmmm, maybe I
should check the brake lights.  Maybe it is related to the horn
failure too.

Anyway, the GT6 will now remain parked until the weekend.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com