[TR] sharpening adjusting screw

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 05:56:09 MDT 2008

Paul,
I don't know if you have heard from others on this as I have been  away.  Do
not grind, file, etc. in your steering box to remove the  "stiffness" in your
steering.  Find out what the problem is.  In an  earlier post you talked about
removing the front plate of the box to insert the  stator tube.  It is
entirely possible that in replacing it you have  captured the worm too tightly and
therefore introduced this issue.
Disconnect your tie rod ends and work backwards to find out where the
binding is located.  There is little or no friction with that pin you are
considering filing, unless, of course, it is tightened unnecessarily  tight.
I have found that proper adjustment of the pin is a more delicate procedure
than imagined, and properly adjusted will produce steering wheel action that
is  not too tight nor too loose, and will meet the specs described in the
manuals.
David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO