[TR] TR6 Distributor Position

oliver sumton at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 13 21:38:46 MDT 2008

http://www.ranteer.com/davescars/tr6/DSCN1418.JPG

  on the 72 parallel, pointing to the driver

  my 69 runs parallel, and i believe the advance points to the driver, but it has two so i'm not sure.

Scott Suhring <suhringtr36 at comcast.net> wrote:
  I would like to take an unscientific poll of the TR6 owners (or other TRers)
on the list as to the orientation of your distributor. I am dealing with a
long time issue that has never caused enough concern to hinder my driving
fun but after thinking more about it, I am not sure if it may be something I
need to address.

When looking at your distributor from the driver's side of the engine bay,
what position does your advance/retard (if you have one) point in
orientation to your engine block? Mine is pointing almost to my headlamp
bucket, about as retarded as you can go. I have seen pictures of other
6s/TRs set up this way but have also seen as many or even more that seem to
run more parallel to the block. I seem to have to have mine in this
position to hit the timing mark, which does not seem correct. I have had
discussions of the distributor being off a tooth on my drive gear or am over
compensating with my idle screw setting.

So what do you all say? TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6