[TR] TR6 Distributor Position

Scott Suhring suhringtr36 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 20:57:01 MDT 2008

I would like to take an unscientific poll of the TR6 owners (or other TRers)
on the list as to the orientation of your distributor.  I am dealing with a
long time issue that has never caused enough concern to hinder my driving
fun but after thinking more about it, I am not sure if it may be something I
need to address.

When looking at your distributor from the driver's side of the engine bay,
what position does your advance/retard (if you have one) point in
orientation to your engine block?  Mine is pointing almost to my headlamp
bucket, about as retarded as you can go.  I have seen pictures of other
6s/TRs set up this way but have also seen as many or even more that seem to
run more parallel to the block.  I seem to have to have mine in this
position to hit the timing mark, which does not seem correct.  I have had
discussions of the distributor being off a tooth on my drive gear or am over
compensating with my idle screw setting.

So what do you all say?  TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6