[TR] Michelin 185-15 X red lines

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 11:27:06 MDT 2007

In a message dated 9/29/2007 10:07:27 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mikedenman at sbcglobal.net writes:

I am not  an expert by any means but I have a Marcos with Panasport wheels. I
bought  the wheels new and wanted a special "back spacing". The back spacing
I  wanted was only available in the "for racing only" version of the
Panasports. The dealer, who specializes in racing tires and wheels,
explained that there were two essential difference in these wheels and the
regular Panasports. The "for racing only" wheels were a lot lighter (I
forget how much) and thus less tolerant than the regular Panasport wheels  to
various types of "road rash" like hitting curbs, large pot holes etc.  The
second difference was the "for racing only" version wasn't made to  accept a
center cap and didn't come with a center cap. I have had the "for  racing
only" wheels on the Marcos for about 5 years and am on my second  set of
tires with no problems. I drive the car on the street and on the  track.
Personally, I don't and wouldn't worry about using the "for racing  only"
wheels on the street... unless you are one of the inept drivers that  does
hit curbs etc on a regular basis.
Mike  Denman

Back in the 60's I designed a wheel which went into manufacture as one of
the early "sport wheels"and was widely sold.
It had to pass an OEM test , I understood, for liability reasons. Passing
the test required some minor but expensive redesign and tooling changes.  The
manufacturer could have sold them "for racing only" and had some defense if  one
failed on the street.

Mike Moore