[TR] Interesting cooling system web page

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 29 09:19:27 MDT 2007

I had an interesting chat today on the 'phone with one of my old S-T chums who
worked in engineering to see if there was any math involved in calculating
cooling properties in our cars, bearing in mind my soup heating problem is
likely to haunt me till I die :)

His reply wasn't at all technical but went along these lines.

"Well, we knew that the water pump we used on most of the engines would shift
a given amount of water at specific engine speeds, so as long as we continued
down that road, things would be OK. We also liked to use type 4 thermostats
(whatever they are - because he couldn't remember their opening temps) and we
also knew a given radiator size with a core spec as per usual, would be OK
too, so we stuck with that as well.
Oh, yes - we also measured the under-bonnet temperature as well to ensure the
fuel didn't pre-vapourise - but that was all a bit ad-hoc.
If things got a bit too hot, we'd use a cooler stat.
If that wasn't enough, we'd then throw a tropical rad spec at the car to solve
the problem and maybe make the pump pully smaller to turn the impellor faster.
It was all a bit of a compromise, really - but the acid test was that if the
b*****r didn't boil in the UK or the south of Italy, it'd be OK for the rest
of the world and provided there was no special tooling required or oddball
ideas for ultra-tropical rads, the bean counters would be happy as well."

When I asked what "aymptotic function" formulae might have been used, there
was a brief silence followed by the comment "don't be filthy!"

FWIW ::))

Jonmac