[TR] Battery "Leaking"

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Sep 28 17:41:13 MDT 2007

> Got home last night from class after about a 12 mile run on the freeway
> doing about 70MPH and I noticed fluid in the battery tray liner when I
> was checking for antifreeze leaks because I had replaced the radiator last
> weekend. Turns out it's barrery acid (it ate the paper towel I was using to
> wipe it out of the liner).
Which raises a tangental question.  I remember reading on the List some time back, that modern self-contained batteries don't leak acid like the old capped resevoir kind.  Nevertheless, coming from that era, I'm condition to worry unless I have a plastic battery tray to protect the metal battery container on the TR3.  I can't seem to find one of these.  JC Whitney had one, but OOS.   For probably no other reason than my piece of mind, I have an ugly patch of old innertube filling the gap.
Anybody know where plastic trays are available?
Terry Smith, '59 TR3
New Hampshire