[TR] Interesting cooling system web page

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 28 16:25:43 MDT 2007

>> 2. Slower-flowing water is better.

   I can think of two scenarios in which an increase in water flow rate might have a detrimental effect on cooling:

1. The higher speed creates eddies or backwaters in areas that would otherwise flow continuously, or
2. The extra heat produced by the motor laboring to push the water faster exceeds the cooling benefit of the increased flow.

   Both seem fairly plausible.  In fact, #2 HAS to happen at some point because cooling rate is an aymptotic function of flow speed, while the energy required to pump is closer to an exponential.
   So... slow is bad AND fast is bad.  Must be an optimal flow speed somewhere in the middle, different for every car.  Maybe the Tiger's optimum speed is actually somewhere near the stock configuration.
   On the other hand, as Randall pointed out, they didn't actually MEASURE flow speed, only inferred it... so, who knows?

   Many apologies if this has already been covered (I'm in digest mode).

-Nick
64-ish TR4
Vancouver BC