[TR] TR6 speedometer needle

Anthony Rhodes spamiam at comcast.net
Sat Sep 22 07:41:17 MDT 2007

Wow, I wonder what made it break off?!

The needle is press-fit on the spindle.  BUT, it is sometimes terribly hard
to get off.  See my repair monograph for general info.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/speedo.html

However, I have had more thoughts since then on getting that darned pointer
off. Simply holding the "drag cup" and then twisting back and forth on the
pointer and pulling may actually move the entire spindle in the cup.  The
cup is also just a press fit on the spindle!  This may not be good as it
will move the cup toward/away from the magnets in relation to the spindle.
(I have been re-writing the monograph, but I have bad a hard time finding
the time!)

So, how do you hold the SPINDLE securely when trying to pull off the
pointer.  Well, you need to remove the frame, but how do you do that without
having already removed the face which requires removal of the pointer?

Well, loosening the 2 screws holding the face will allow it to be tipped up
without actually removing it.  Then you can slide in a knife edge into the
slots of the screws holding the subframe to the frame to remove it.  Then
you can separate parts and have access to the spindle.  Then remove the
pointer and face.  Service the rest of the works while you are there, then
reattach the subframe to the frame, attach the face, then the pointer, then
recalibrate the pointer.

-Tony