[TR] carb fuel 'mist' confusion

Jack W. Drews vinttr4 at geneseo.net
Sat Sep 22 04:16:38 MDT 2007

>What's interesting about all this is what really happens - or
>doesn't happen very well - with SU carburetors. If you look down the
>throat of  the SU carbs while the engine is wailing away at 6000 on
>a dyno, what you see is huge droplets of gas going out of the jet,
>not the mist I would visualize. Utterly astounding. Not exactly a
>safe thing to do, of course, but that has never stopped me from
>doing anything. It's a miracle that all this vaporizing actually
>happens before combustion, given our really poor intake passge shape
>and lousy combustion chamber design.

And if we don't think this is a poor design, we can ask ourselves why
an engine of two liters is so difficult to get over 150 hp when
engines of this size in modern cars get MUCH more  hp. A trip to the
local auto machine shop and a look down the intake ports of modern
engines is quite revealing.

uncle jack