[TR] TR4a ignition advance

Darrell Walker darrellw at ipns.com
Fri Sep 21 10:38:31 MDT 2007

This table has been floated around the list before:

Vacuum Advance dist. 40795

Inches Hg           Degree Crank advance
2.0                     0
3.0                     1
4.0                     1.75
5.0                     2.5
6.0                     2.75

Centrifugal Advance

RPM                    Degrees Crankshaft advance
500                     0
700                     0-2
1200                   5-7
1600                   9-11

So if you believe this is indeed crank degrees, you get a total max
advance of:

4 + 2.75 + 11 = 17.75 degrees

But I don't believe the above figures are in crank degrees, but
rather distributor degrees (half of crank).  But the initial advance
maybe crank.  So that gives you:

4 + 5.5 + 22 = 31.5 degrees

Which seems like a reasonable number.  I recently read a book on
powertuning ignition systems, and it claims the combustion chamber
shape is the biggest factor in how much advance the engine can
tolerate.  The one that most closely matches the TR head was called a
"bathtub" chamber, and they said 33-34 degrees.  So that would be in
line with second calculation.

-Darrell