[TR] Rebuilt carb start up

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Sep 14 09:22:14 MDT 2007

> OK I had the carbs rebuilt by Paltech and they are beautiful. Put them on
> last night and I can barely get the car to start let alone run. It
> backfires
> through the rear carb. Didn't touch the distributor. I have not put light
> oil in
> the pistons reservoirs yet. Thoughts?

I am wondering why you have not put in the damper oil.  It would be
difficult to tune the carbs without it.  Also, you have not said whether
these are SUs or Strombergs, although I suspect they are the former.  If SUs
(I know nothing about Strombergs), did you:

a) Make sure the pistons slide freely throughout the whole of their travel
(i.e center the jets)?
b) Adjust the jets to the correct initial position (Screw the nut in until
the top of the jet is flush with the bridge and then back it out two full
turns)?
c) Make sure the float level is correct (see previous recent correspondence
on this topic)?
d) Make sure that all of the throttle and choke linkages are free and not
binding?

But first, put the oil in the dampers.

Mike