[TR] My worst car ever

Brian Jones banc8004 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 17:29:58 MDT 2007

My worst car ever was a gold 1989 XJS 5.3L V-12 Jaguar.

Every 6 months it needed something in the $1,000 to $3,000 range.

So much money went on repairs, thinking 'that must be the last big
thing to go wrong' it made me faint. I started lying about it to my
wife.

After two or three years of this, one day, I went over a bump and
then heard an odd thunking coming from underneath the car. I
thought ...here we go again, just weeks after my last repair. The
dealer told me I needed to replace a bushing.

$1200 later they replaced the $10 part. I knew then that I'd have to
get rid of the car or sell my first-born child.

I drove from that repair directly to a Chrysler dealership - the
dealer nearest to my home. I wandered in, left the jag, came home
with a Sebring convertible that is approaching 10 years old, has only
had rotors, oil and gas, has over 100k, and is going surprisingly
well, given my kids now drive it.

But I still miss the Jag.

Never eye-watering acceleration, but a strong, smooth push in the
small of your back that feels like it could never end. It was sort of
a very small London Gentleman's club on wheels  - Walnut, Wilton and
sumptuous leather - that on its good days, you could actually travel
about in.

Brian Jones
TR4 1963
Valley Forge