[TR] My worst car ever.

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 11 16:22:24 MDT 2007

All I can say is thank goodness I don't own it.
At this very moment, we have a loan car provided by our insurers while my
wife's car (a Suzuki Cappucino) has a minor dent knocked out of it.
The van driver said the car was so small he didn't see it.
Anyway, what we've been provided with is a new Volkswagen Golf GT (8900
miles) with a turbo-diesel engine. I'm not sure whether it has the 140 or
170bhp engine and in my view, that's academic. But the car itself is hot -
even with climate control, more plasticky than your average Jap offering,
uncomfortable, gives me chronic backache after 30 minutes and stalls unless
you rev it like hell. IMHO, it's probably the most dangerous car I think
I've ever driven. The power to weight ratio is obscene and with a kid at the
wheel who has only just passed a driving test, it's debatable how long he'd
live.
I'll be delighted to see the back of it and my only regret is that some
other individual will get lumbered with it. Driven many Golfs, including the
original GTI and loved all of 'em - but I HATE this one with a passion.

Jonmac