[TR] Replacing wheel studs in TR4 rear hubs - To pull or not to pull?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 6 01:45:38 MDT 2007

>    The rear studs on the '4 are threaded into the hub, but
> the backside of each one is "peened" so you have to grind a
> bit off before it will unscrew.
>    My question is: Should I pull the hubs?

I'd first take a stab at doing it with the hubs still on the car.  Taking
the brake shoes off might give you enough room to work in there with a
Dremel.  If not, I'd remove the hubs & halfshafts as an assembly (6 bolts
into the bearing housing).  With them off the car, you should have no
problem.

But, if that still isn't enough room, ship the halfshafts off to someone
with the right tool to break them down.  Even grabbing all 4 lugs isn't good
enough, the puller also has to support the hub ... and even then it
sometimes winds up distorted from what I've heard.

Randall