[TR] Replacing wheel studs in TR4 rear hubs - To pull or not to pull?

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 6 01:16:01 MDT 2007

Hi listers
   I am half way through swapping out the stubby wire-wheel studs for longer disc-wheel studs on my TR4 (Fronts are done, rears not started yet).
   The rear studs on the '4 are threaded into the hub, but the backside of each one is "peened" so you have to grind a bit off before it will unscrew.
   My question is: Should I pull the hubs?  I looked through the list archives, and opinion seems to be mixed regarding the accessibility of the back of the hub without pulling it, and also the likelihood of successfully removing a hub without bending it.  I don't have the proper Churchill hub puller, but I do have a heavy-duty wheel puller that would grab onto all four lugs.  I also have a Dremel tool.  And a corkscrew, if it comes to that.
   Pull?  Don't pull?  Drive around with wire wheels on one axle and alloy wheels on the other?

   Thanks
-Nick Wolf
64-ish TR4
Ben Lomond, CA