[TR] OT? Replacing Temp spare tires?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 31 14:22:12 MST 2007

> I would expect that the temp spare tires have the same dry
> rot concerns as
> regular tires.

I think they are less of a concern, because spare tires are typically stored
away from daylight and ozone, and are supposed to be used only for short
trips at low speeds.  But Bridgestone/Firestone recommends they be replaced
after 10 years; likely other tire makers do as well.

>  Can one buy new replacement temp spare tires?

Surely someone can order them for you.  But as cheap as used ones are, I
don't see the point.

>  Do the temp
> spare tires mount on an existing wheel (do they have the same
> style lip)?
> Are these tires easy to have dismounted?

I don't know what a tire shop would have to say about it.  But I dismounted
and remounted mine using a cheap manual tire changer from HF, with no
trouble at all.   And the stock TR3 wheel was only slightly wider than the
original wheel, so no trouble with seating the bead either.

I've even put it to the test, driving some 40 miles home after ruining a
tire, at speeds of 70-80 mph.  Worked perfectly.

Randall