[TR] Looking for a TRiumph 2000

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 30 08:05:46 MST 2007

Mark Gendron wrote:
> My grandfather bought a TR2000 MK1 from Cleveland Jaguar
> in 1966 or 1967, to replace his traditional Austin. He had a
> fair amount of trouble with it. One (very) big item was that
> the rear suspension mounting broke away from the chassis on at
> least two occasions. Apparently this was a common problem with
> the early model. I don't know whether Triumph devised a fix for
> this, but you might want to check into it before purchasing one
> of these vehicles.

Well, that's interesting. After all my years playing with the 'Big Triumph',
I've never come across that problem. Not to say it doesn't or couldn't
happen but it's a new one to me. As far as the back-end driveline is
concerned, diff nose pieces can be troublesome and there's a fix for those
now but the strength of the rear 'A' frame is pretty formidable. That said,
being a detachable box section bolted to the body, you have to be wary for
corrosion in cars today. Such an animal would not be difficult for a
competent sheet metal worker to fabricate but their positioning is critical
as the rear axle geometry is depends very much on them being bolted up in
the right place.
As far as torsional rigidity of the body is concerned, all 2000's and 2500's
have exceptionally rigid structures. For info, Pressed Steel who made the
body calculated it needed 6500lbs/ft of torque to twist the body one degree.

Jonmac