[TR] build date of TR3A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 11:48:47 MDT 2007

> Every car built comes with a "Certificate of Origin" from the
> factory, no
> matter how long it may sit in a storage yard or a dealers
> showroom, when
> said car is finally sold it must be titled according to the
> "CO" date and
> not the year it is sold in. in plain words the "CO" is the
> cars "birth
> certificate" for it's entire life span (and beyond sometimes)

That is true today.  But up until the early 60's, there were no laws
requiring that.  Triumph dealers routinely sold cars as 'new', meaning the
current (or even next) year's model, by simply altering the number on the
paperwork.

So, for example, all the paperwork for my Sports 6 said it was a 1965 model,
even though the car was completed by the factory in 1963.

Randall