[TR] Push or pull

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Tue Oct 23 12:14:40 MDT 2007

In a message dated 10/23/2007 9:54:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
fishplate at charter.net writes:

----  Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com wrote:
> My instinct leads me to believe a puller  will move more air through a
> radiator than a pusher.

I'm not  sure of the test parameters, but a properly installed puller will
flow better  than a properly installed pusher.

As I see it, a proper installation of  a fan includes a shroud.  If you
shroud a pusher, then when the vehicle  is in motion and the fan is ~not~
energized, air is blocked from normal  laminar flow through the radiator by the shroud.
 With a puller in the  same configuration, air hits all points of the
radiator face more or less  equally (small mouth notwithstanding), so that more flow
is experienced.   The rear shroud may limit total flow somewhat, though, maybe.

When the  fan is energized, then there may not be as much difference between
pusher and  puller - probably both are more effective at moving air through
the exchanger  than the stock (unshrouded) fan.

"Better" is the enemy of "good enough".

The way I look at it is; so what if a pusher isn't as efficient as a  puller
(which its not), is the fan good enough to do what you want it to  do?
 In my case, the answer was "yes" on both my Stag and my TR3 which I  drive
in the summer time on (hot) California freeways.

Mike Moore