[TR] Cleaning Aluminum

TeriAnn Wakeman twakeman at razzolink.com
Tue Oct 23 05:22:29 MDT 2007

First of all, since it is a non stock gearbox I think I can safely
assume you are building a driver and not a concourse showboat. so there
is no reason to make the gearbox look new.

Get a can or two of engine degreaser advertised as OK for aluminum
engines and follow the directions.  There is no need to overly clean or
polish a gearbox that is going to sit behind an engine, out of site and
exposed to what the road throws at it.  If you are not going to open it
up, just get the surface grease off and offer it up.

If it were me with a used gearbox on the ground that will go into a
driver, I'd open it up to give it an inspection & at least renew the
syncros.  But thats admittedly because I don't like working on cars &
want as long an interval as possible between bouts of shipfitters disease.

TeriAnn