[TR] TR-3 Engine Stand - Ferguson Tractors used Standard's OHV engines

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Sun Oct 21 13:51:51 MDT 2007

John Macartney wrote:
> Glenn Merrell wrote:
>
>> but could it have something to do with the Ferguson engines (and Tractors)
>> being forged, machined assembled and installed by Standard/Triumph Motor
>> Company from about 1945 to 1956 due to the manufacturing agreement between
>> Ferguson and Standard?
>>

> Yes, yes, yes
>
>> and those tractors used a similar engine in the Vanguard, TR1/2/3/4, folk
>> lore says the Triumph is a Tractor engine, although it was probably first
>> used in a Standard automobile.
>>
> It's okay guys, I was just anxious not to see that 'lore' becoming 'gospel'
> whereby statements indicate the engine was originally designed for a
> tractor - when it wasn't :::)))
>
> In these fuel-conscious times (in Europe at least) it seems strange that
> there aren't more (any?) sidescreen TR's fitted with the Vanguard diesel
> engine (a derivative) that also fouind its way into the tractor.
>
> Jonmac

I will bet that 90% of the readers are seeing this for the first time John.

Unfortunately, the lore and myth has long been propagated that Ferguson
made the engines for the first "TR"  series so the myth is that TR's
were "tractor" engines.  Of course that is reversed from fact, when in
reality, Ferguson Tractors were fitted to newer technology over head
valve high performance push rod Triumph engines with a drastic increase
in horsepower!!

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)