[TR] TR-3 Engine Stand

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Sun Oct 21 11:05:54 MDT 2007

John Macartney wrote:
>> there really isn't anywhere to bolt
>> this TRactor engine up to it.
>>

> Can anyone (Everyone?) please tell me why the wet liner 4 pot is so
> frequently referred to as a tractor engine?
>
> Jonmac
This is just a S.W.A.G. (Standard Wild Arse Guess) but could it have
something to do with the Ferguson engines (and Tractors) being forged,
machined assembled and installed by Standard/Triumph Motor Company from
about 1945 to 1956 due to the manufacturing agreement between Ferguson
and Standard?  So, since Standard made the Ferguson Tractor after Ford
begged out, and those tractors used a similar engine in the Vanguard,
TR1/2/3/4, folk lore says the Triumph is a Tractor engine, although it
was probably first used in a Standard automobile.

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)