[TR] Thinking about an XJS???

Jamie Palmer tr6driver at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 20 15:08:39 MDT 2007

Never, never again.  Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.   However, if you insist on doing so, I have a few tips:
1)  Download Kirby's book and follow it before attempting to fix anything.
2)  Make sure you are prepared to spend 10+ hours changing spark plugs
3)  Did you know the second, inline coil is located in front of the radiator (!)
4)  If the individual heat/air direction controls don't work well...run to the nearest exit.
5)  That 30-minute job to replace the tranny filter on the GM tranny becomes an all-day job as the cover is blocked by the 17-component (!) rear tranny mount
6)  Each of the 4 converters goes for around $750, so if you have emissions inspections, get it passed before you buy it.
7)  Did I say never, never again already?
8)  Beware of cracked plug wires.  The ignition on late cars packs enough punch to blow through the insulation if the timing is off...and those pipes the spark is grounding to is the fuel injection system.
9)  Don't try to adjust the throttle linkage to adjust the idle speed; it's done through air bleed screws
10)  Buy the correct, not "will-fit" thermostats with the bleed valve included.
11)  Make sure the rear rotors don't need turning or replacing.  Trust me.
12)  Unless they were replaced last week, plan on replacing the steering rack bushings.
13)  I did say "don't", right?

Now, I admit I learned more about fuel injection from that car than anything else I've ever worked on.  And there's nothing like the feeling of it cruising at 80.  But I will NEVER own another one...unless I hit the jackpot and can pay someone else to work on it for me.  And I even made money on mine (minus my labor, of course) when I sold it.  But I'm reminded of a saying from when people buy boats; the two happiest days are the day it's purchased and the day it's sold!

Good luck, regardless!

Jamie Palmer
'67 2000 Estate
'72 TR6