[TR] Grumpy

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 16:16:31 MDT 2007

I drive my TR3A every day it doesn't rain, so am used to the stares, the approving catcalls from teenagers and the thumbs up from fellow drivers.  Usually I smile and wave, recognizing how important it is to people to see something out of the ordinary, sometimes a good memory from their past.  Even the House Majority Leader in New Hampshire used to have a TR3 back in the 60's when we were all young.
But driving home from some work-related errands in Concord on Saturday, I was preoccupied monitoring an engine power problem I was having after doing some work on my dizzy.  (Can't wait to get the new distributor and the electronic ignition unit from Fred!)  So when the one-ton pickup passed me on I-93 towing a trailer, I was a bit grumpy to begin with having not fixed the ignition problem I was having, and grumpier yet that a big pickup towing a trailer was rubbing it in my face by passing me on the highway.  The driver of the pickup slowed, as so many do, and gave me a thumbs up.  Cheered a tiny bit, I gave him a polite (but reluctant) wave back.
Hah!
As he pulled ahead of me, I saw what was on his trailer...
...a British racing green TR3 nicely restored....
I've seen three TR3's in New Hampshire in the past 5 years.  One is disassembled and in the body shop of the guy who did mine, belonging to a man who had seen mine and couldn't live without one.  The other was in my rear view mirror turning onto the highway behind me last year.  Now this one.
Sometimes the universe spanks you for lacking grace.
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A