[TR] 2 TR3 front fender questions

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 8 15:37:10 MDT 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 01:47 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> I ask another 'what's this for question':
>
> I am installing all four fenders/wings and am clueless.  On each front
> fender, and 'cut in edgeways' are 6 ovals or slots. They are spaced 4-5"
> apart. These slots would directly above and forward of the front tires and
> only visable when the bonnet is raised.  They are only proably 1/4" below
> the car's hood.  What are these slots for?

Paul,

Not sure what you are asking her. The front fender is attached to the apron in
the front via 1/4 28 inch bolts from the inside the fender well into the
apron which should have cage captive nuts. A large washer + lock washer is
used here + a 1/4 28 inch bolt. The slot allows for adjustment for fit.
Since they are prone to rust use some anti sieze on all bolts.

> Also, I (think) I know beading is normally attached by squeezing the tab
> between the panels and doing a 1/2 twist (with the tab bottom).

This is true. I also taped the tabs with masking tape so I didnt scratch the
paint etc during install. After all is tight, I just bent over the tab flush
with the fender well.

> But, how is the beading tabs attached to the fender (in that major portion
> of the fender exposed where the hood) is?

There should be a piece of sheet metal about 1" *  2 feet or so that has a
groove on the top to attach to the bead and is thus screwed into the fender
side with sheet metal screws. This holds the bead in place in the bonnet
area. The remaining bead is held with 2 tabs against the rear body above the
door. There should be a caged nut on the fender in which a 1/4 28 bolt is
accessed from inside the drivers/passengers compartment for attachment of the
rear most portion of the fender bead.

> Obviously, this part of the
> beading will be seen when the hood is raised?

That is true, the piece of sheet metal holds the bead tightly to the inside of
the fender.