[TR] TR4A Valve Timing

GHaynesTR4 at aol.com GHaynesTR4 at aol.com
Mon Oct 8 06:14:03 MDT 2007

Arnold,
I had a similar experience with my TR4A.   Too much milled off the head, it
seemed.   Compression readings were similar to yours, over 200 psi.   Lotsa
pinging.   Backed off the ignition timing, but then performance suffered.
Finally, I added a second head gasket, lowering the pressure to around 170 psi.
Worked for years but I ultimately replaced the head and used one gasket again.
 Runs real well.   My opinion is that changing the cam/crank timing will not
produce the results you want.   Good luck!
George Haynes