[TR] TR3 alternator coversion

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 18:50:18 MDT 2007

> My guess is my only choice is to pull off the front end and
> radiator.  But that sounds like an extremely difficult thing to do
> anytime you have to change a belt!!!!

FWIW, I changed the bottom radiator bolts to ones much longer than stock,
and put springs under the bolt heads.  My intention was to be sure no torque
(from the frame twisting during spirited driving) could be transmitted to
the radiator shell; but a side effect was that I can take the upper braces
loose and tilt the whole thing forward a bit.

Anyway, I guess my point is that tipping the radiator (even if you have to
undo the bolts first) is much easier than having to pull the front apron.
You might even be able to go far enough without removing the upper hose (but
draining the coolant and loosening the hose will let you go a bit farther).

> What can I do to avoid this in the future???

Several options come to mind :

1) I've heard that turning the fan back to front will give you a little more
room.
2) Convert to a narrow belt.
3) Permanently move the radiator forward another 1/4" or so. (Not sure if
this is practical)
4) A local club member had the fan extension cut & rewelded shorter.  By
doing the cutting on a lathe, they were able to keep the result running
true.

> I have an electric fan, so maybe I should ditch yellow fan??

That's the way I went, many years ago now (except my old fan wasn't yellow
<g>).  Worked well for me.  The temperature does rise a bit in desert heat,
but it never boils (as long as I remember to turn the fan on).

Randall