[TR] crude captive nuts

Paul Dorsey dorpaul at negia.net
Wed Oct 3 21:01:10 MDT 2007

I have not finished testing this product, but, ....

if you want me to send you a pic then send me a reply asking, but,

I've come up with an idea for a captive nut and it seems it will work, but,
instead of 1/4"- 28tpi it is 1/4" - 20 tpi

This will cause many listees to sneer at you.

A captive nut was used by Triumph (and many others) to hold a nut from an
inaccessable location, however, it requires some welding.  And since  I've
already done the majority of the welding on my car before my welder broke
(with a runaway mig wire feed), I sought a cheaper way:

Since to remove my captive nut (when I was dissassembling my TR3) I used a
sawzall to slice open the rear of the cage holding the captive mut.  This
allowed me to remove the corroded four-sided nut, AND leave a partial cage
still welded to the inaccessable rear.  It is to this partial cage that I
wired a wing nut.  Several wraps of wire and the wing nut 'stays in position'
and is immovable due to the stationary cage.  Do the wrapping with a bolt thru
the nut, after this, remove the bolt.

Hey!  Better than a toggle-bolt!

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey60 TR3