[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 1, Issue 232

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Wed Oct 3 18:02:10 MDT 2007

On 3 Oct 2007 at 22:19, terryrs at comcast.net wrote:

> And now I think about it, if the heater core heats the room, how
> could the heater core ever be other than the room temperature?

If the heater core heats the room, how could it ever *not* be hotter
than the room temperature?

It's like this, Terry.  Heat flow from a higher temperature to a
lower one, kinda' like how money from Massachusetts drivers' pockets
flows downhill into New Hampshire toll booths.  If the heater core
isn't hotter than the room, there will be no heat flow and the room
will never be warmed.  On a cold day, heat flows from the room to the
outside through the walls, windows, doors, floor, ceiling.  This will
continue until the temperature of the room eventually reaches the
same temperature as the outdoors.  In order to keep the room warm,
the heater core must be warmer than the room so that heat flows from
the core to the room.  The ultimate temperature of the room will be
whatever produces an equilibrium between heat coming from the core
and begin lost to the outside.  When Massachusetts drivers no longer
have any loose change, they will stop driving through New Hampshire
toll booths.

Aren't you glad you asked?

--
Jim Muller