[TR] Update 3 Changing oil to full synthetic

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Wed Oct 3 13:21:07 MDT 2007

Greg and list,

Thanks for all that discussion.  I am also a Castrol GTX 20W50 user and always
have been.  I would like to switch to a conventional 20W50 oil with the
highest zinc content that I can buy in an Advanced Auto parts store.  Can't
seem to get an answer on what oil that is?

Castol answered my question like they did for you, "use Castrol Syntec Classic
20W50".  However, I am not wanting to switch to a synthetic oil for some of
the issues while this discussion has been going on.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-synthetic, non-blend conventional
oil that is 20W50 that you can buy locally?

My local British car shop (and they don't change their opinion much) is still
recommending Castrol GTX 20W50 like Greg ended up deciding.

Thanks in advance,

Craig H. Nicholls
1972 Triumph TR6

>From: Greg Perry <rgperry at earthlink.net>
>Date: 2007/10/03 Wed PM 01:38:16 CDT
>To: triumphs at autox.team.net
>Subject: [TR] Update 3 Changing oil to full synthetic

>Continued from Update 2 Changing oil to full synthetic;
>
>Disclaimer:  I do not have any connections or inside information about motor
>oils or any additives.  Please take the information in this e-mail and links
>for what it is worth.  I am only stating my thoughts and opinion about the
>subject.  Sometimes peoplebs opinions contradict one another.
>
>The API service rating SG is for 1993 and older engines.  This infers that
>motor oils produced after 1993 probably have different additives and less
ZDDP
>than previously produced motor oils.  Thatbs 14 years of possibly reduced
>ZDDP!  How many original flat tappet camshafts have failed due to decreased
>ZDDP during the last 14 years?  Ibm not talking about newly installed
>aftermarket camshafts (to many variables that initially caused the concern
>over decreased ZDDP in new oils).  I remember the unleaded gasoline scare
>tactics of the 70bs.  Did the leaded engines fail from burning unleaded
>fuel?  Did the lead gasoline additives produce income for their
manufactures?
>If you owned a Ford model A, what oil would you choose today?  According to
>API the oil specification is obsolete.    Ibm going to continue using
>Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my Triumph.  If and when I install a new flat tappet
>camshaft, I will follow the cam manufactures instructions; use a good
quality
>30wt oil with plenty of ZDDP.  The links below may be of interest:
>
>API  engine oil guide
>
>http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/EngineOilGuide
2
>006.pdf
>
>Morgan Owners Group January 2007 tech article b
Oil is Killing Our Cars!b

>States b
Latest report #1 Castrol GTX 20W-50 is still good for our cars
after