[TR] Update 3 Changing oil to full synthetic

Greg Perry rgperry at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 12:38:16 MDT 2007

Continued from Update 2 Changing oil to full synthetic;

Disclaimer:  I do not have any connections or inside information about motor
oils or any additives.  Please take the information in this e-mail and links
for what it is worth.  I am only stating my thoughts and opinion about the
subject.  Sometimes peoplebs opinions contradict one another.

The API service rating SG is for 1993 and older engines.  This infers that
motor oils produced after 1993 probably have different additives and less ZDDP
than previously produced motor oils.  Thatbs 14 years of possibly reduced
ZDDP!  How many original flat tappet camshafts have failed due to decreased
ZDDP during the last 14 years?  Ibm not talking about newly installed
aftermarket camshafts (to many variables that initially caused the concern
over decreased ZDDP in new oils).  I remember the unleaded gasoline scare
tactics of the 70bs.  Did the leaded engines fail from burning unleaded
fuel?  Did the lead gasoline additives produce income for their manufactures?
If you owned a Ford model A, what oil would you choose today?  According to
API the oil specification is obsolete.    Ibm going to continue using
Castrol GTX 20W-50 in my Triumph.  If and when I install a new flat tappet
camshaft, I will follow the cam manufactures instructions; use a good quality
30wt oil with plenty of ZDDP.  The links below may be of interest:

API  engine oil guide

http://www.api.org/certifications/engineoil/categories/upload/EngineOilGuide2
006.pdf

Morgan Owners Group January 2007 tech article b
Oil is Killing Our Cars!b

States b
Latest report #1 Castrol GTX 20W-50 is still good for our cars after
break-in!b

http://www.mognw.com/mogazine/Tech_Articles/Oil_Motor.pdf

Update 4 forthcoming,  Regards,  Greg Perry