[TR] TR4 shackle length

nwolf at u.washington.edu nwolf at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 2 16:49:20 MDT 2007

Hello Listers
   Can anyone tell me the correct length (pin-to-pin) of a TR2-TR4 shackle?  I have a late TR4 with the deep-dish spring and big spacer under the axle, but the shackle is supposed to be the same part from TR2 through TR4 (but not TR4A).
   Here is the back-story: The car sits about 2" lower in the rear than it should, compared to other people's cars described in the Archives, and it bottoms out occasionally.  The rear frame under the rear axle is about 5.5" from the ground.  I have tall tires (Cooper Sportmaster 165/15), so I know that's not the problem.
   I suspect I have saggy springs.  But there is also a possibility that the spring shackles are longer than normal... One of the previous owners told me the car had been lowered that way long ago, though he thought he had changed it back.
   Anyway, my shackles measure right around 3", and I was just wondering if this is correct.
   Thanks!
-Nick Wolf
64-ish TR4
Vancouver, BC