[TR] Exhaust Pipe Color

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 16:51:50 MDT 2007

> Another dummy question:  What color looking into the exhaust
> pipe is appropriate?  ...I had thought tan.  Black means too
> rich, right?

That used to be true, but I don't believe it is any more.  Now I believe the
black only tells you it was too rich at some point (like you didn't push the
choke in quickly enough last year); without saying anything about whether it
is too rich now.

The difference is the lead no longer in the fuel; lead oxide is very white
(which is why it used to be used in paint).

Randall